A food addict's travels on the road to recovery.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

It Finally Happened!

I decided to just start putting my signs on my car when I go to work, and not just on the weekends.  I may get fired for this eventually when I get caught, but let me tell you why I think it's worth the risk.  Yesterday I went to lunch and was sitting at a red light when I heard the lady next to me honking her horn.  I looked over and she was telling me to roll down my window.  O.M.G.  This is it!!  Someone saw my sign and was fixing to ask me about it!!!  I rolled down the window and she asked what was my hourly rate.  I told her $25/hr and she said she's "time challenged" and said something about rental houses that I didn't quite catch.  The light turned green and I told her I'd follow her.  We pulled over and jumped out fast...I could tell she was in a hurry....and she asked for my business card.  I already had one in my hand, gave it to her with a big smile and thank you, and she said she would call me as she ran back to her car.  What a rush!!! 

I was so excited and scared and freaking out....my very first contact with the new business....my hands were shaking for like 2 hours after it happened.  I went back to work and could NOT concentrate on what I was doing.  There's no telling how many wrong reports I sent out yesterday!  I kept praying that it wasn't going to be daytime work...since I have a FULL TIME JOB and didn't want my very first customer to be one I had to turn away!!  I called some friends and asked if they knew ANYONE that lived in my area that might be interested in doing some EF work during the day.  That was a total bust...I don't have anyone right now!

Here's the non-exciting part.  The lady hasn't called......yet.  She still could!!  And even if she doesn't, there will be others!!  I do think I will get bigger car signs though.  Everyone I know that has seen them has told me they're WAY too small....that they can ONLY be seen and read at red lights, but when I'm driving down the road, all you can see is a little pink blur that is my logo.  You can't really read the phone # well enough to jot it down.  So I'm budgeting to buy bigger signs.  I still have a business card-size ad coming out in a local paper on Sept. 1st.  I'm anxious to see if that will generate any phone calls.  As you already know, I set up a FB page for Errand Fairy, and I've been posting a Craig's List ad every day. 

I called and talked to Michelle yesterday evening.  She's the girl in Charleston, SC that I modeled my business after.  She said almost all of her calls for work come from her Craig's List ad, so that's moved to the top of the priority list with the advertising.  Dwayne and I went out to dinner a couple of nights ago and were strolling past some store windows, and I saw a little consignment shop that had a table by the front door with different stacks of business cards on them.  The shop was closed so I couldn't go in and talk to the owner....but I'm planning on dropping by this Sat to leave some cards and introduce myself to the owner.  I'm going to drive around town and try to find other little places I can leave cards.  I did this a few months ago actually, and was surprised at how many people told me NO!

I hit several nail salons, figuring that would be an EXCELLENT place to find some clientele, but not a single salon would let me leave cards.  I went to several pet stores....since I offer pet services such as dog sitting, etc.....and none of them would let me leave cards or a flyer on their bulletin board either.  They said they couldn't recommend any one business....they were only allowed to put Lost/Found dog ads and community pet events on their bulletin boards.  Dropping off cards is not as easy as one might think!!  lol

My friend Cherie suggested leaving cards at Panera Bread and Starbucks.  I'm not sure if they'll let me do that, but I'm going to go in each one in Roswell and look around and see.  I guess each franchise might be different too, depending on what the manager will allow, so we'll see.  It's worth a shot!! 

I've got to meet up with my sweet friend Kim on Saturday morning at 8am to get our long walk in, working towards the Half Marathon in November.  We're scheduled to walk 6 mi this time, and next week it will be 7 mi, and so on.  I got on the scale this morning and it says the same dang thing as last week....254 lbs.  I'm still stress eating and I know it, so I can't say I was shocked.  If anything, I was surprised I didn't GAIN this week.  I've been eating up all the produce I bought at the Farmer's Market last weekend, but I'm still eating crap, too.  I'm just eating too much...period.  Makes me wonder if I'll ever get a grip or if I'll be trying to walk 13 miles while weighing 254 lbs in November!!!!!  Gah!!

Thanks to everyone who supported me by "liking" my Errand Fairy FB page...you guys are awesome, and I really appreciate you helping me get this off the ground.  You know, I really only need to work 20 hrs/week at EF to make the same thing I'm making at the full time job that I hate right now.  Once the ball gets rolling, and word of mouth spreads, hopefully it won't be too long before I can make EF my only source of income.  What a day that will be!!  'Nite friends!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking Starbucks too but I asked my husband (he works at Starbucks) and he said only community events can be posted on the community boards. Business cards are always taken down.

    But I have another idea. I was volunteering at this nonprofit food bank in my city last month and a man came in to offer a group discount to everyone who worked there for a car washing service. The people who worked at that nonprofit (at all nonprofits really) are super busy. They ALL jumped on the offer. What the guy did was bring his car washing stuff to the food bank admin building and wash everyone's cars on one day of the week. That way no one ever had to take the time to go get their car washed AND they got it done for a discounted rate.

    Not that you should wash cars, but you might use the business model. That guy just came in off the street, talked to the secretary, the secretary talked to other people in the building, he went around and gave his business card and started signing people up.

    What do you think? Could you stop into a busy business and just pitch Errand Fairy, offering a discount rate for everyone who works at a certain business? Like the more people who say "yes," the bigger the discount. That would even get people at the business doing some of your selling for you (pressuring coworkers) because they would get a bigger discount the more people signed up.

    Let me know what happens. And congratulations on getting that lead at the red light. It sounded exciting! And definitely get bigger car signs!

    Keep me updated! I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy,
    What exciting news!!!:-) I'm so happy for you, and I truly believe this is just the beginning of a great new career for you. Best of luck and keep us posted!
    Hugs~
    Amy

    ReplyDelete



Given by 266

Given by 266 and Bearfriend

Given by Jen

Given by Bearfriend

Given by Sheilagh & Kathleen

Given by Brittany, Michelle, Irene, Melanie, Sean, Amy, Sheilagh, Francesca & Christa

Given by Kristina, Amy & Auburn

Given by Sarah, Brittany, VRaz60, 266, Rebecca & Auburn

Given by Brittany

Given by Kelly

Given by Dawne & ETL

Given by 266, Sweettooth, Kelly & Brittany

Progress Photos

Progress Photos
232 lbs. ~ Size 18/20 outfit

232 lbs.

242.0 lbs. ~ Size 22/24 outfit

242.0 lbs.

Start Weight 06-12-09

Start Weight  06-12-09
272 lbs. ~ Size 26/28 outfit