A food addict's travels on the road to recovery.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Porkin' Out

I bet when you read the title you thought, "Oh no! Tammy fell off the wagon AGAIN!!!" Ha ha ha...FOOLED YA'!!

I'm proud to say that I'm doing just fine, and feeling WAY better than yesterday. The reason for the title is because I made 2 pork dishes today...one for today's lunch, and one for tomorrow's dinner. And I have pics...although they're not that great. I'm not a good food picture taker. Sorry.

I found a new recipe in my Cooking Light magazine for Pork and Potato Hash. I've been craving pork for a while now...it's one of my MOST favorite meats. I am a total carnivore. So I was going to make it for dinner, decided I couldn't wait that long, and made it for lunch! Here's the pic:



I made the Butternut Squash Soup recipe that I found on Pam's food blog, Lobster and Fishsticks, listed on my bloglist. I've made several of her recipes now, and they never disappoint!! She's so talented in taking old, familiar comfort foods and "healthifying" them. I added a dash of cinammon to mine after I dished it up. Here's the pic:




After making my pork and potato hash today, I had part of a pork tenderloin left, so I threw it in the crockpot with a cup of diced potatoes and half a head of cabbage for tomorrow night's dinner. I went ahead and put some in a bowl to take a pic of it, and then threw it back in the pot and put in the fridge. Here's the pic:




I've got some good news to report on the exercise today. Last week I told you that I started trying to add some intermittent jogging into my walks. It normally takes me 1 hr 15 mins to walk 4 miles. When I started the jogging a week ago, I discovered that I can only do it for 10-20 seconds at a time and then have to fall back to walking. So I try to catch my breath and then do another jogging spurt as quick as I can. I end up with a bunch of short jogging spurts. The first time I tried the walking/jogging last week, my time was 1 hr 3 min, so I shaved 12 mins off my regular walking time and was very happy about that. Today, I did it in 55 minutes!!! That just thrills my heart. This, my friends, means I'm making progress with the jogging!! Woo Hoo!!

Who would have ever thought that Fat Tammy, who could barely walk a mile when she first started 4 months ago, is now starting to jog??!! I got news for ya'. Fat Tammy is standing at death's door. Her days are numbered. Girlfriend ain't lookin' too good.

Today was really stellar on the calorie front...until Shane came home. I could have beat him. He called me and asked what was for dinner, and I told him I saved some pork and potato hash for him...something I knew he would like. So a little while later he walks in the door with a triple Whopper from Burger King. Are you effing kidding me??? WTF??? He said he decided he'd take the hash for lunch tomorrow and was feeling like a Whopper. A TRIPLE WHOPPER.

I've mentioned in the past that my all-time fave fast food is Krystal's. What I don't think I've mentioned yet is that the Burger King Whopper is my 2nd favorite. I've never been a McNasty's kinda girl. I also mentioned just last week that I think I'm over the fast food thing. That's probably still true as far as me out driving around...I still don't have the desire to whip into those places like I used to. However, when the Triple Whopper is sitting right under my nose on the kitchen counter....not so much. I asked him if I could have a bite and he said yes. I had one bite. Heaven. lol I swear....it still tastes good to me and that just sucks. I told him I hated him with every fat cell in my body and he just laughed. Not so funny to me....but you know what...life is always going to be full of temptations.

That brings me to something that Sean wrote in one of his posts not too long ago. It was a real eye-opener for me. He said that he no longer calls any food a temptation....because to call it a temptation is to give it power. When you call everything a "choice" instead, you take away the power that the food has over you. Total epiphany for me. Just brilliant. I just wish Shane would keep his crappy "choices" out of the house! lol

So, total calories for the day are 1500 + one bite of a Whopper. I drank tons of water, just as I always do. And I walked/jogged 4 miles at the park. I wrapped my toes in band-aids before I left, and with my new shoes, I didn't have a lot of pain today. It was so refreshing. However, my joints were giving me hell just like they usually do, so again, I didn't make it to the 5 mile marker. I'm starting to think that goal was a little too lofty for this week.

One more thing before I sign off. I mentioned last week that Shane's girlfriend, Billie, has started her own weight loss blog. She took inspiration from me and started her own and I'm so proud of her. She's listed on my blogroll as "Let the Skinny ME Out!". I found out last night that her daughter Kandice has now started her own weight loss blog!! She's also on my blogroll and it's called "No More Chunky Dunking...". Seems like this healthy lifestyle change is really starting to catch on!!! I think that's just fantastic...I'm glad that these lovely ladies really want to change their health for the better. I hope you'll stop by and give them a high-five for getting started down the Road to Freedom. :)

Quote For the Day:

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, til it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriett Beecher Stowe

15 comments:

  1. Woo-Whoo You Go Girl!!
    Brilliant Post!!!

    I am so happy to hear of the coming demise of "Fat Tammy"!!

    I love that you are jogging.
    It's fantastic, I am so proud of you.

    love and hugs

    Sheilagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy.... I haven't left you a comment before because I normally am against giving people advice when they are already finding something that works for them, so this is totally just a suggestion and I think your existing walking/running program sounds awesome. Two years ago when I was trying to lose weight, I decided I was going to start running mostly because my skinny sister was a runner so I figured it had to work. I used the Runner's World Beginning running plan (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-0,00.html) and it's an awesome way to start running if that's what you want to do. It builds up at the exact right pace, where every time you are suppose to increase the amount of time you run, it's challenging, but still doable. Anyway, I had great success with it, so I just like to tell people about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I freaking love Burger King. Definitely my favorite fast food place. Their Whoppers, their fries (damn, I love those fries), their tasty pies... I'm so lucky that we don't have one in my (small) town because I would eat there way too often. Anywho, your food looks tasty and healthy. And congrats on steadily shaving time off your walks/runs! You really are making fantastic progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about the jogging - it's like "am I really doing this?!?" Well you are...and quite well!!! Congratulations on being fit enough to jog, Tammy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the food, and I love that you are inspiring friends who inspire friends. That's what this life is all about.

    Have a great day Tammy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great positive post! Thanks Tammy, for your incredible spirit and kindness - your comment to my post from yesterday really helped me, and I quoted you on a brief post today. And obviously you're serving as an inspiration to more folks than me...given Shane's girlfriend and now her daughter walking this walk!

    Your food looks great! On the way to work I was thinking I'm doing a pork tenderloin for dinner, so we're porking out together. Congratulations on the consistent exercise...you said it yesterday - listen to your body. I'm thinking I see a 5K run in your future! But it starts with those 20 second jogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to talk to Shane about the Whopper thing.

    We will have to plan on the Labor Day 5K (or 10K can't remember which) next year.

    We are going to do it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You give me inspiration, Tammy. I am walking a mile and a half....but am ready to up it to two miles this week. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs, it really helps a lot! Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those meals look so yummy!!
    I'm just like you on the jogging. I jog in town while it's still dark. I started by only being able to job 1/2 block before walking. Now I'm up to full street of the block a few times. My goal is to jog the whole thing (1.2 miles) by feb. I have to get over only jogging in the dark though lol.
    Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your doing so good!! I hope that one day I could jog...my ankles are so weak from so many years of spraining them...but who knows!:) In the picture with the Pork and Potato hash I recognized the Happy Harvest decoration and then realized I have that decoration in my table centerpiece:) I have always been more of a whopper girl than a Big Mac girl too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a Burger King only two minutes from my house. Just two minutes and I can have a cheesy, greasy, melty whopper. But alas, no fun for Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're doing great! That's awesome that your working on jogging, it's amazing how quickly you can progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy,
    Good for you!
    The walking/jogging is great. I really need to do it too. Mostly for my mood, do you find it helps you that way?
    It's nice that you've inspired people near to you as well as those of us far from you...
    :)
    Andrea
    Your earrings are being created. I'm waiting on some special stones I ordered from ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tammy,
    Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I love Cooking Light! And your soup looks so yummy.
    Congrats on the great work and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love pork too! Especially tenderloin, but hate, triple hate, Burger King. I think I've only ever eaten there 5 times in my entire life.

    You are amazing with the jogging. Keep going! You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete



Given by 266

Given by 266 and Bearfriend

Given by Jen

Given by Bearfriend

Given by Sheilagh & Kathleen

Given by Brittany, Michelle, Irene, Melanie, Sean, Amy, Sheilagh, Francesca & Christa

Given by Kristina, Amy & Auburn

Given by Sarah, Brittany, VRaz60, 266, Rebecca & Auburn

Given by Brittany

Given by Kelly

Given by Dawne & ETL

Given by 266, Sweettooth, Kelly & Brittany

Progress Photos

Progress Photos
232 lbs. ~ Size 18/20 outfit

232 lbs.

242.0 lbs. ~ Size 22/24 outfit

242.0 lbs.

Start Weight 06-12-09

Start Weight  06-12-09
272 lbs. ~ Size 26/28 outfit