A food addict's travels on the road to recovery.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To Join Or Not To Join?

Let's get the crappy news out of the way first....I went out to dinner with Shane and we had Chinese. It was my idea. I just wasn't feelin' it today and didn't want to cook. I had 900 calories left by dinnertime, so I think I came out of it okay. And hopefully I'll have the sodium flushed by Friday's weigh-in.

I'm sticking to walking at the park every OTHER day, due to my knee, so I didn't go today, since I went yesterday. This is really killing me....I can't wait to get back at it full force. I've got a serious itch.

My one goal this week was to start gaining some consistency. All I want to lose is 1 single pound. That will mean I'll have a loss 2 weeks in a row, and that's what I want. With the limited exercise, let's hope I get there.

I did some exercises here at home today. Here's what I did:

Skullcrushers: 75 - 3 reps of 25 on each arm with a 10 lb. weight
Single DB extension: 75 - 3 reps of 25 on each arm with a 5 lb. weight
Behind the head extension: 75 - 3 reps of 25 with a 10 lb. weight
Wall Push-ups: 75 - 3 reps of 25 each
Crushes: 200 - 4 reps of 50 each
Leg Lifts: 40 - 4 reps of 10 each
Lateral Lifts: 20 w/ a 5 lb. weight

I'm debating on whether or not to join a gym. I've never joined one in the past, for a lot of reasons. But one of the main reasons was I didn't want to be one of those people that paid for a membership, was on fire for the first month, and then ran out of steam, lost their interest, and had to continue to pay for a membership. Same reason I've never owned my own treadmill....I didn't want it to become a dust-covered rack to hang your clothes on, like it had for so many other people I knew.

But all of this "free" time with no job is driving me insane. Someone asked why I don't get a part-time job. I haven't tried, because I'm lucky enough that I made enough at my last job, to get the full amount of unemployment. It's obviously less than I was making when I was working, but it's enough to cover my monthly living expenses. Part-time work wouldn't pay all of my bills, so I have to stick to the unemployment check until I can find full-time work again. I hope it's very soon.

But, for now, I'd like to get out of the house more, but with a purpose. Billie, my roommate's girlfriend, told me about a gym in Cartersville, about 10 mins from my house, that only costs $15/mo and there's no contract! I found out about this last weekend and have been mulling it over ever since. I would have to re-adjust my budget, and use some of the Christmas money I set aside to buy my family gifts this year. That's the main reason I've been hesitating.

Tonight, I'm starting to think differently. Getting healthy, fit, strong and living longer has got to be one of the BEST presents I can give to every member of my family. I think investing this little bit of money in myself, instead of a few extra things to wrap and put under the tree, is money better spent. As far as possibly losing interest, or just not being comfortable in the environment....well, that's the beauty of no contract.

Anybody have any tips or advice to share on what I'm contemplating here? I'd love to hear it. 'Nite friends. :)

Quote For the Day:

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince." -Vince Lombardi

16 comments:

  1. I have a sneaking suspicion you've already made up your mind. ;) I say go for it! With no contract, you really don't have anything to lose (except the weight...lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you're one of those people who hates to see something you spent money on go to waste then it would probably be a good idea. Plus, the gym is good because it will give you a lot of options. Say you get bored with walking/running, or you plateau and need to switch it up, then you can start swimming or biking or doing that darned elliptical. So yeah, I think gyms are a pretty good tool in helping you live a healthy lifestyle, and I definitely agree with you that if you decide join you shouldn't feel guilty about having to get a few less presents. I'm sure everyone will just be excited to see how far you've come by Christmastime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tammy
    JOIN the gym...I'm so pleased I have a membership as it gets me out of the house everday even with the cold weather we experiencing.
    I do understand the waste of a membership, while on my journey I wasted 2 years - then when something clicked mentally I rejoined, my hubby complained as I had never stuck it out...it'll be a year in November that I joined and I go at least 5x a week...its no longer a waste of money, but it's a gamble, you have to decided where you are mentally, is this the time you are going to stay on the wagon and lose the weight or is this just another of those 2 week moments we have when we give an eating plan our all and then stop...( thats how it was for me )
    Going to gym and working out makes you feel so much better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have ideas on inexpensive Christmas gifts. What about taking all of your favorite recipes and making a Tammy's Cookbook for family & friends? Or you could make homemade wine glass charms - just take earring hoops from a crafts store and add fun charms.

    I love going to the YMCA to workout. We have a family membership. My husband goes about 4 times per week and I go 3 or 4, depending on the weather and if I can walk outside. Maybe if you can come up with a plan of when you'll go to the gym, you'd be more apt to stick with it. Don't join one with a long-term contract. Find a month to month so you can cancel if you find you're not using it.

    Good Luck, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the fact that you are on a tight budget and you get your gym membership, you are going to go faithfully everyday to get your moneys worth~~I say GO FOR IT!
    When I started to get healthy, my husband bought me a nice stationary bike from Sears since it was winter and hard to get out and walk. We are always on a tight budget so I used it every morning faithfully for 2 years straight because of that. It was a good motivator for me to use it and not let it sit there and be a waste of money.
    I'm debating on getting a gym membership for the month of December to help me thru the holidays too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting around due to unemployment? Oh I know all about that! I say go for the gym deal. You'll use it since you have nothing better to do and you need to get out of the house, right? I even justify walking my dogs by telling myself "do two cover letters (something I hate more than doing dishes)and then you can walk the dogs" and it works! What have you got to lose besides $15 and some unnecessary poundage?

    ReplyDelete
  7. With a gym membership there are no excuses such as cold, rain, snow, ice -- all those things just around the corner (unless you live in a warm climate). I also think you've made up your mind. Good health is the best gift you could give yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tammy, I say go for it, if you can afford it. For $15/month and no contract, you have nothing to lose, except $15 if you stop going. I think you'd enjoy it, and it will breathe new life into you exercise program, freshen it up.Sounds like you're leaning in that direction. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. join. cheap? no contract? What have you got to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  10. DO IT! :) Things may be completely different by Christmas. You never know. Plus, the gym will give extra confidence for your next interview. I know that you will get the job you deserve. Also, remember the temperature this weekend? Winter is coming and you will be thankful to have that gym :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say you do owe it to yourself and you will love some of the benefits of the gym. I also like that there is no contract.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now seems like a good time while you are looking for a job. You have time on your hands you won't always have, I think it will help you feel good both mentally and physically, as excercise does, but also bc it gives you a reason to get up and get going kinda thing. Maybe even being around other ppl will be beneficial.

    SkinnyMinnie mentioned walking her dogs..do you take Scarlette on your 2 mile walks these days?

    I suppose if you felt it was too much bc of your knee, or too much $$, you can always quit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy,
    Do it! I loved the gym when I was there. Money is keeping me out of one right now too but at $15/mo you've really got nothing to lose. ;) Except weight of course!
    I found it to be an awesome way to break up a long day, when I wasn't working too. And the people were okay too.
    It was a 100% good thing to me.
    Do it!
    :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here I am, the bad seed. I've joined a gym twice. The first one went out of business. The second was close to my house, open lots of hours, etc. I did good at first, then my life kicked up a notch, and I was hard pressed to find time to go. I like walking outside way better than any machine. And I am no prude, but watching 20 something skinny girls walking around in the locker room and showers with nothing on, well, I didn't like it. Follow your heart. Go for it! Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tammy. Great to have found a place where there's no contract. I've never had the confidence to join a gym but I'm sure it would really help if I did. You've committed to healthy eating and walking and successfully stuck to it. So trust yourself with another commitment.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You losing weight and getting healthy would be the absolute best Christmas present for me and Dad. You know how much we love you! So the gym sounds like a win/win to me.
    Love you, Mom O.

    ReplyDelete



Given by 266

Given by 266 and Bearfriend

Given by Jen

Given by Bearfriend

Given by Sheilagh & Kathleen

Given by Brittany, Michelle, Irene, Melanie, Sean, Amy, Sheilagh, Francesca & Christa

Given by Kristina, Amy & Auburn

Given by Sarah, Brittany, VRaz60, 266, Rebecca & Auburn

Given by Brittany

Given by Kelly

Given by Dawne & ETL

Given by 266, Sweettooth, Kelly & Brittany

Progress Photos

Progress Photos
232 lbs. ~ Size 18/20 outfit

232 lbs.

242.0 lbs. ~ Size 22/24 outfit

242.0 lbs.

Start Weight 06-12-09

Start Weight  06-12-09
272 lbs. ~ Size 26/28 outfit