A food addict's travels on the road to recovery.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday's Success

Well today was Free Day and it went pretty decent. While I didn't count calories, I'm still going to list everything I ate today. I got up at 6:30am and breakfast was 3 egg whites scrambled with canadian bacon (only 60 calories & 1.5g of fat for 3 slices....awesome), yellow peppers, mushrooms & onions. I'm really loving this olive oil spray to cook my food in....Pam told me about it when I found out there's 120 calories in a tbsp of olive oil & I completely freaked. I just don't want to waste 120 calories on something that does absolutely nothing to fill me up, just to scramble a few egg whites or sautee some vegetables.

I ate lunch at 11am and it was 2 stuffed peppers from the previous night's dinner. Got hungry again about 3 hours later (right on schedule), and Dwayne said he was going to Quizno's to get a sub (he couldn't find anything to eat at my house because I've filled it full w/ healthy stuff, lol). He offered to get me something and I told him no thanks, I was going to have a salad. Then he offered to get me a veggie sub on whole wheat bread, and again, I declined, telling him I didn't want to waste the calories on the bread because I knew I was going to eat whatever I wanted at dinnertime and I was trying to hold the reigns in until then.

So around 2:15pm I made a salad w/ romaine hearts, spinach, broccoli slaw, carrots, onions, tomatoes and peppers w/ 2 tbsp of lite Italian dressing. Dinner wasn't scheduled until 7pm so I ended up eating some hummus and crackers around 5:30pm. Our friends showed up and we sat around and talked for a while and didn't end up eating dinner til around 8pm. This is where Free Day really earned it's name.

Dinner was a hamburger (I passed up the French hamburger white roll that I LOVE, and ate it on a whole wheat sandwich thin), 3 grilled chicken strips, a spoonful of mashed potatoes & 2 spoonfuls of tortellini salad. When I finished eating I sat there for a few minutes and just enjoyed the feeling of being full for the first time after a meal in an entire week. I love Free Day. :)

It eventually came time for the birthday boy to blow out his candles and while everyone sat around enjoying their slabs of cake w/ buttercream frosting and butter pecan ice cream, I happily munched on 2 c. of fresh fruit. I made a HUGE fruit platter w/ honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, red grapes, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.

Although I probably got a full day's worth of calories in my dinner alone, I'm happy that I didn't go crazy with my food all day long. I think I showed decent restraint w/ the rest of the food during the day, so I was able to eat dinner with my friends w/o any guilt, enjoy the full feeling afterwards, and actually preferred the fruit over the cake from my beautiful fruit platter.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the 1550 calorie limit tmrw and pressing towards weigh in day on Friday. The first week is the hardest one. I counted calories for the first time in my life, found out about correct portion sizes and got the shock of my life, and stayed hungry a good part of the week. But it's behind me now, I showed an exciting loss for all of my efforts, and the weeks can only get easier from here. I cannot tell you how therapeutic this blog has been. I wish I had known 10 years ago how beneficial it was going to be!

Tomorrow is my nephew Cyress' 2 year old birthday party. It's at 2pm, so I'm not sure if that means we're just having ice cream and cake (which I will avoid), or if Mom's cooking dinner for the family. I'm going to call her in the morning and find out so I can be prepared and plan my day of eating around that. Mom's really good about cooking a lot of veggies, so I'm sure there will be plenty of healthy stuff for me to eat. I just want to know ahead of time if there's going to be something really tempting there for me. Please God.....don't let it be pork ribs. Sweet, sweet swine. Mmmmmmm. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it sounds like your free day was still pretty good. It's great that you're getting in the habit of not only being aware of your food choices, but also portion control. That's the biggest thing for me. I am not the healthiest eater, but I find as long as I control my portions I've been able to maintain my weight. So yeah, great job, and good luck on the next week!

    ReplyDelete



Given by 266

Given by 266 and Bearfriend

Given by Jen

Given by Bearfriend

Given by Sheilagh & Kathleen

Given by Brittany, Michelle, Irene, Melanie, Sean, Amy, Sheilagh, Francesca & Christa

Given by Kristina, Amy & Auburn

Given by Sarah, Brittany, VRaz60, 266, Rebecca & Auburn

Given by Brittany

Given by Kelly

Given by Dawne & ETL

Given by 266, Sweettooth, Kelly & Brittany

Progress Photos

Progress Photos
232 lbs. ~ Size 18/20 outfit

232 lbs.

242.0 lbs. ~ Size 22/24 outfit

242.0 lbs.

Start Weight 06-12-09

Start Weight  06-12-09
272 lbs. ~ Size 26/28 outfit