A food addict's travels on the road to recovery.

Monday, September 28, 2009

My NSV's Thus Far

Mother Nature has stopped in for a week-long visit. So....in trying to ignore the humongous bloated body I am living in, and the cramps that feel more like contractions, thanks to my PCOS, I decided to reflect on the non-scale victories I have achieved so far. I could think of only a couple and then my mind went blank. I had to email Pam and get her to remind me of my progress, lol. Such a great friend....always there when I need her. :)

I wear a diamond ring on my middle finger on my right hand that Dwayne gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It is getting too big and will need to be re-sized soon.

I have been able to fit into all the restaurant booths now. I haven't been to many restaurants since I started losing the weight nearly 4 months ago, but haven't had a problem so far.

I no longer fear eating in restaurants. This one is HUGE. I still choose not to do it a lot, just because I don't like fighting sodium gains, but at the same time, I've learned that drinking absurd amounts of water over 2-3 days takes the water gain away. With that said, I NEVER eat in a restaurant on Thursday night, since my weigh-in is on Friday morning.

All of the clothes that were in my closet when I started these travels are now all too big. I cleaned out 3/4 of my closet and mailed a 25 lb box of clothes to Pam, who I am so happy to report, is also too small for at least half of them. Now that's awesome. :) I have about 5 shirts that are a 22/24 that fit fine right now, and I've saved some of my old, bigger shirts to wear when I walk at the park. I have some size 26 shorts that I'm still wearing....they're ultra baggy but thanks to my more than ample hips, they haven't fallen off yet.

I took myself off of all of my meds when I started this in June. I wanted to drop about 30-35 lbs and have my body be free of all the medicine so that I could get an accurate reading on my blood tests to see what losing weight and moving more was doing for my health. I still take thyroid meds because that's a life and death thing, but I removed myself from the diabetes pills, the cholesterol pills and the high blood pressure pills. My blood pressure was actually down to normal on my last 4 doctor's visits before I started this in June, so I felt comfy stopping that one. I've also checked my blood sugar, and the last reading I got was a 93. As long as it's under 120, I'm okay. I am planning on making a dr's appt very soon, probably this week, to have my labs done again. I'm very curious to see where the numbers stand.

Housework has become WAY easier than before. I still have aching joints...especially my left hip for some reason. But my knees are worlds better, and my lower back isn't quite as bad as it was. It's still locked up for about an hour or two after I wake up in the morning, which makes my morning walks especially unpleasant, but I feel like dropping further down the scale will remedy most of this.

When I first started exercising, I could only walk 15 minutes and thought I was dying. I don't think it was even a full mile. I've slowly worked my way up to 4 miles in a row now, and some days I go back to the park in the evening and walk 2 more miles. It's a good feeling to know I've progressed from less than a mile, up to 6 miles in less than 4 months. I'm especially proud of this NSV. It's hard to get started when you're as big as I was when I started...but I'm glad I did. It's really starting to pay off.

I've really, really developed a taste and a love for healthier foods. This is probably one of the most shocking NSV's for me. I wrote in an early post that I was moving from full-fat mayo to Kraft Light Mayo, and it tasted "blech". lol
Well I stuck with it, and just found out this past week that I actually PREFER it now over regular mayo. I was at Publix doing some grocery shopping at lunch time. I got a turkey sub on wheat, no cheese, for lunch. Publix deli doesn't offer lite mayo, so I told them to spread it light on one side of the bread only, mustard on the other side. I was eating the sandwich in the car on the way home, and something just didn't taste right. I finally figured out it was the mayo! I found myself thinking it tasted pretty gross, and was wishing I had Kraft lite mayo on it. What a shock that was!

I hesitate to say this next one, but I think I may be over the fast food. While in the throes of PMS this past weekend, I wasn't feeling like counting calories, I was out on the road running errands, and was going to say "To Hell with it" that day and swing by a fast food restaurant for lunch. I was surrounded by them. Krystal's, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Captain D's, Mrs. Winner's, KFC.....and I couldn't think of a single thing I wanted from any of them. This is coming from the former Fast Food Queen. I had a real struggle staying away from these places when I first started. A real struggle. But the other day, the thoughts of all the salt, the fat, the processed crap just turned my stomach. I ended up going home and making a ham sandwich on sourdough with lettuce, tomato, onion, lite mayo & lite Italian dressing. Delish. :)

In the last month, while lying in bed at night, I have discovered my ribs, my sternum, and my hip bones. :)

I rarely drink Coke anymore. This is another HUGE one. I wrote in an early post that I didn't think I'd ever, ever be able to kick the habit completely. I still drink some once in a while, but the habit of having to have it is gone. Completely gone. It started out simple...I wanted to spend my calories on food and not drinks. Pretty soon, I just got used to drinking almost all water. Now when I drink Coke, it's 1/2 of one of those little 8 oz, 100 calorie cans....so 4 oz. and 50 calories. I'm very proud of that, especially in relation to my diabetes.

I love beer. But the most I've ever drank it is maybe once a month when Dwayne and I would go out to a local bar & grille and kick back for a couple of hours. I'd drink 4 or 5 Killian's, get a nice buzz going, and enjoy my evening out. Not anymore. Beer weighs down your exercise, it's loaded with calories, and it dehydrates you. Since I started losing weight in June, I've had 1/2 of a beer 2 different times. Although once a month isn't a real big priority in the first place, it has moved even further down the list of priorities.

This last one is kind of bittersweet. I have a beautiful collection of girlie, lacy, silky bra and panty sets. Every color and design you can imagine, except for white. White is too boring for me. I am very budget-minded and money-conscious, but my lingerie drawer has been my one, personal splurge. Lovely lingerie makes me feel pretty. Almost ALL of them are too big now. I've adjusted all the straps on the bras to the shortest length and they're all falling off my shoulders. It irritates the crap out of me. The problem is, I don't have the money to replace them right now and it's driving me nuts!!

There's probably more NSV's, but this is all I can think of right now. My calories are under 1500 today and I walked another 6 miles at the park today!! I did 4 this morning, and another 2 this evening. This probably isn't something I can sustain all the time....4 is more like it....but with Mother Nature visiting, I'm trying to level the playing field with that wench. :)

Quote For the Day:

"Life can be pulled by goals just as surely as it can be pushed by drives." -Viktor Frankl

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the NSVs Tammy!

    Tammy ... I like having the treadmill in my home. I gave up trying to convince myself that I like going to the gym ... I don't. Now I don't need the social aspect of the gym either. I know some people enjoy being around others and are inspired and motivated being around others who are sweating away. I love the convenience of going in to my spare room and just getting on the thing and getting it done. I don't have to get specially dressed or spend time driving to and from the gym. It's there to hop on whenever the mood strikes me.
    So I'm kind of partial to owning my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you!! These NSV are monumental Tammy, they really are! Very good, very, very good!

    I beam with pride---you're a shining example of how it's done for so many...keep it up my friend.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. She really is a wench, isn't she? I hate her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on all the NSV's!!! I haven't been here in awhile so hadn't seen your new pictures, WOW is all I can say Tammy. I think you are looking wonderful and you just have an amazing smile and great cheek bones *smile*. You are doing a terrific job with all that walking too. Keep up the great work. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!!! You have come such a long, long way in a relatively short amount of time... you should be very proud. There are a lot of things to be pleased with here. I am definitely going to tuck this post into the back of my mind so I can do a similar entry one day... grin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a nice post to read. I enjoy hearing about all the positive things this weight loss has brought you so far.

    Oh, and about that lingerie problem--I'm sure Dwayne would be happy to buy you some new stuff once you feel like you get to a size where you want to invest in a lot more again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy,

    It seems like ages since I caught up with you, but what a treat when I did. A superb post I am bursting with pride about you. YHou got me thinking about NSV's will have to list mine see what I can find.

    Thank you for the Honest Scrap Award I was tickled pink about it and guess what? I love you too, you sort of like my little sister across the pond.

    I am so pleased with your progress I wish I could give you a hug xxx

    Sheilagh
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your NSV's are so impressive! I was so happy when I discovered the idea of NSV's - it really makes you feel good to focus on something other than the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing GREAT girl. So happy to read every one of your NSVs. I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great NSV's - and I LOVE that you are choosing to focus on them during this week...you are really setting yourself up for success by doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing NSV's... reminds me I need to do a list of them too. I hear you on the lingerie. I can't wait til i'm "regular sized" and can buy inexpensive lacy nothings for next to nothing. It sucks here in Canada.. my current overtheshoulderboulderholders tend to be in the $45 range each. NOT nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mayo IS nasty! Hello? It's really gross! Ha ha ha. I've never liked Mayo.

    These victories are major! I am excited for you. I know what you've accomplished walking and you've really increased the mileage in a relatively short time. So proud of you!

    I need some new underwear. My bras still fit pretty well because I don't lose much in my chest (and I need to...badly!) But my bundies (I call my panties "bundies") are getting loose. I can't wait to wear sexier lingerie and actually feel okay in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy. I agree with Amy H. - very impressive list! Being off the meds is especially good - you must feel like a new woman!

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic list! Congratulations on taking that inventory. I never heard the term NSVs until yesterday when Amy H. mentioned them as an alternative to only using the scale as a barometer. So this post is right on schedule for me.

    Wonderful benefits - just discovering your skeletal system is awesome. I think I'm going to need to do the same thing...almost like making a gratitude list. You're doing fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing so good. I love your NSVs. The distance you are walking is great too. I walk about a mile at the time.

    Its funny how you can just lose your taste for certain things. I cant eat fast food right now. And I use to love Big Macs. I guess I still would, but it's just not a choice that I want to make. Feels good to have power over that, doesnt it??
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a lingerie splurger too! I love wearing matching lacy bras and panties. I am really not a girlie girl on the outside but oh how I love my secret lacy insides! It's been killing me to wear plain old utilitarian bras and panties (that often don't even match!!) during this downward journey. I suppose it's a small price to pay, but I still miss it and look forward to the days when I can stock back up -- and with so many more options!!!

    ReplyDelete



Given by 266

Given by 266 and Bearfriend

Given by Jen

Given by Bearfriend

Given by Sheilagh & Kathleen

Given by Brittany, Michelle, Irene, Melanie, Sean, Amy, Sheilagh, Francesca & Christa

Given by Kristina, Amy & Auburn

Given by Sarah, Brittany, VRaz60, 266, Rebecca & Auburn

Given by Brittany

Given by Kelly

Given by Dawne & ETL

Given by 266, Sweettooth, Kelly & Brittany

Progress Photos

Progress Photos
232 lbs. ~ Size 18/20 outfit

232 lbs.

242.0 lbs. ~ Size 22/24 outfit

242.0 lbs.

Start Weight 06-12-09

Start Weight  06-12-09
272 lbs. ~ Size 26/28 outfit